Old Smithy Conversion, North Cornwall
Type: Conversion / Residential
Area (m2): 96
The Smithy was constructed circa 1860 and is sited within a Conservation Area, it is an important building within the village and therefore had to be sympathetic to village amenity and retain the character of the existing building. The most controversial intervention with the planning department was the new southern sunspace which has transformed the conversion and enabled the building to be partly heated with passive solar gains.
The conversion meets current building regulation standards with warm roof constructions, insulated floors, majority of walls insulated and traditional double glazed timber joinery. Conservation sun pipes provide natural light to the hallway and internal cloakroom. Conservation roof lights also provide natural light and ventilation to the kitchen. The building is heated via a small boiler via underfloor heating and a wood burner.
Gross internal floor area 96m2